Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pumpkin Apple Phyllocine Sandwhich

When cleaning out my pantry the other day, I discovered an unused can of Libby's Pumpkin filling. I thought about making mini pumpkin pies or even pumpkin cheesecake. But just thinking about heavy dessert made me feel like I had just eaten Thankgiving dinner!

So I thought I'd use the pumpkin in a simple, light dessert!
~~~~~~~
Pumpkin Filling:
1 can of pumpkin filling
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
~~~~~~~
Mix all the ingredients for the filling into a bowl. Set aside.

Cook some granny smith apple slices in butter and cinnamon for about 6 minutes until they are nice and tender. I left the skin on because I liked the green contrast with the orange pumpkin... yum.
The phyllo dough I had in my freezer was just enough to make a few squares for my crispy sandwhich. Cut the phyllo into 3' by 3' sqaures and sprayed each layer with cooking spray. Layer them so they would just get crispy and not burnt and bake them at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes.
Chocolate Drizzle:
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of confectioners sugar
~~~~~~~
In a double boiler, heat the choclate until it is melted. Heat the milk until it boils and mix chocolate and hot milk into a seperate bowl. After it is mixed, add the confectioners sugar and the choclate drizzle should be, well, drizzly.
~~~~~~~
Making the sandwhich is easy! Spead a thin layer of the pumpkin mix onto the bottum layer of the phyllo crisp. Layer some cooked apples onto it and then place a big dallop of the pumpkin mix on top of the apples. Then place the top crisp on the pumpkin. Drizzle your chocolate and enjoy!
This sandwhich is simple and seasonal. When the boyfriend and myself sat down to have a taste, it was better than I expected! It had everything that makes dessert delicious. It was crisp, sweet, savory, and the tartness of the apples added just the right amount of complexity to it. It was plate-licking good. If your looking for a light but seasonal dessert for thanksgiving, try this! You won't be dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment