Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Adventures in: Phyllo Dough

I dunno about any of you, but I rarely think about buying phyllo dough at the store. I recently saw this recipe with salmon and pesto wrapped in puff pastry. I wanted to try it but I opted for phyllo dough instead because it's so much lighter and it gets intensely crispy! This was REALLY easy to do. I cut the phyllo into 2' by 2' squares and sprayed about 2 layers of phyllo with baking spray.

Then I placed a cube of salmon and alittle bit of pesto on top. I folded the corners upward and tied the whole cube together to create a bite size salmon purse! The hardest part about this recipe is tying the string on but seriously, it's worth it because they turned out so pretty and yummy. I baked the little bites for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees. The salmon was buttery and the phyllo was crispy. Oh, it was heaven.
Since I had a ton of phyllo left over, I started thinking about sweet things I could make with it. I contemplated chocolate or something creamy but I didn't want to compromise that crisp that is just so delicious. So, I peeked into my freezer.....
ALMONDS! Yummy, slivered almonds, already chopped! Almonds have great flavor and bake well, so I decided to make mini almond pies. I just mixed together half a bag of silvered almonds, 1 egg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. I used the mini cupcake tins that I am still borrowing from my mom. :) I stuffed two sheets of 2' by 2' squares into the tins, loaded the almond mixture in and baked at 350 degree's for about 15 minutes.
Oh my, they turned out so light and crispy and yet they were delicious and satisfying. My parents requested I make these for the Christmas party! Not only are they light and yummy, but they are also really pretty and elegant! I mean you can pretty much stuff anything into phyllo (okay not anything but you get the idea) and it will turn out light, crispy, and beautiful!
Using this box of phyllo has given me so many other ideas too. You can make those phyllo purses with just about anything. It's so versatile, I'm glad I tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment