Monday, October 5, 2009

Importance Of Degrees-Not only in cooking!

Every loyal cook/chef/food lover knows that having the correct temperature in the oven or on the stove is very important when it comes to cooking food. The degree is not only important in the kitchen, but also important in life....

I am a senior at a local university, and it may seem like I am almost finished here but I'm far from it. I have changed my majors several times because I just couldn't find something I really loved. I've known that my real passion is cooking but my parents feel that a degree in ANYTHING is better than dropping out and going to pastry school. At first I was angry because I felt like I was wasting my time at school. But then I slowly came around and now I see the importance of having that degree, just in case the economy decides to tumble again and I am out of work!

So my plan now is to finish school in a year, and then go to baking and pastry school after.

I was wonder what my fellow passionate food people out there felt about this. Did anyone drop out and go to culinary school? Has anyone gone into a baking and pastry program while working full time?
I'd love to hear all of your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kitchen Kitten,

    I am REALLY glad you listened to your parents regarding a college degree. I studied Nutrition & Food Studies at NYU before going to Le Cordon Bleu in London for Pastry Arts. A culinary degree is nice, but it isn't necessary to become a pastry chef. Culinary school is expensive especially if you have college loans which need to be paid off. You can start your training right now by asking to intern (work for free) at a local bakery or restaurant. If you have enough passion and enthusiasm, you can get an unpaid position where you have the possibility of learning a lot. This will also help you to determine whether or not that career is actually for you. Just like working in an office is not for everyone, working in a restaurant kitchen is not for everyone either. Feel free to email me if you have any questions...and check out my pastry blog.

    - Erika

    http://thepastrychefathome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete