Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rustic Granola Bar

I love waking up in the morning to the aroma of coffee brewing in the kitchen. I am one of those "breakfast is the best meal of the day" believers, and really, what goes better with coffee than some tasty, healthy, home-made granola bars!



I've made muffins and scones but I've never made my own granola bars before! So I thought I'd give it a try....
3 1/2 cups of oats
1 cup dried fruit
1 cup of nuts any kind
1/4 cup slivered almons
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
2/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

I thought this recipe was really great because you can play around with the ingredients alot. I used cherries for my dried fruit and I used almonds and walnuts for my nut portion. You could even add chocolate chips for something extra!
I also decided to use agave syrup instead of honey. You can find agave syrup at any grocery store and it's sometimes healthier to use, although it doesn't hold as strong as honey.

This recipe is really easy, all you have to do is combine all the ingredients you choose to use and press into a 15 x 10 pan. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and let cook for 20 minutes. Let the granola cool, cut it into bars, and enjoy with a hot cup of coffee.
Not only is this recipe easy, it's also healthy!

1 comment:

  1. This is so very do-able for very. I love that the ingredients are basic and can be easily found at my local grocer. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete